From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Registering media types for Gentoo files
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 09:33:15
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 Since we've been standardizing some things in Gentoo lately, I was
4 thinking we could try to get some media types registered with IANA.
5
6 Particularly, I'm thinking of registering our Manifest format [1] as:
7
8 text/vnd.gentoo.manifest
9
10 and our new binary package container format [2] as:
11
12 application/vnd.gentoo.gpkg
13
14 However, the process is non-trivial and I'm not sure if the latter
15 really qualifies, given we're only specifying the container and not
16 the complete data format. To be honest, the specs are quite huge
17 and I'd really appreciate some help grasping all of this.
18
19 Perhaps ebuilds and eclasses would also qualify for registration.
20
21 WDYT?
22
23 [1] https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0074.html