From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] borked release media
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 18:55:34
1 On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 07:46:59PM +0100, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Fernando Reyes schrieb:
3 > > That's what meant since we use isolinux on the release media and until syslinux-6 we are forced to use another bootloader and grub seems out of the questions because of licensing issues. I will test new syslinux soon and see how isohybrid and isolinux plau together on an EFI bios.
4 >
5 > No, all we need is to enable EFI stub support in the kernel, and
6 > integrate the initramfs using CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE and place it in
7 > some location where UEFI looks for it (/efi/boot/bootx64.efi).
8 >
9 > This has the disadvantage of not allowing to pass additional kernel
10 > parameters during boot. But it might still be an acceptable stopgap
11 > measure if the alternative is to not boot at all.
12
13 No, don't do that for an "install" kernel, that way is madness, just use
14 a real UEFI bootloader which can handle an initrd and the like properly
15 (like gummiboot, which arch is using for their UEFI bootloader, and I've
16 been using for months quite successfully.)
17
18 Only boot a kernel directly from UEFI if you build your own and have
19 customized it for your hardware. Some bioses will let you do this in
20 secure boot mode without having to sign anything, I took a video of this
21 on Friday showing how easy it can be:
22 https://plus.google.com/u/0/111049168280159033135/posts/81V5oyzwK63
23
24 thanks,
25