From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] borked release media
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 23:22:03
1 Greg KH schrieb:
2 >> No, all we need is to enable EFI stub support in the kernel, and
3 >> integrate the initramfs using CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE and place it in
4 >> some location where UEFI looks for it (/efi/boot/bootx64.efi).
5 >>
6 >> This has the disadvantage of not allowing to pass additional kernel
7 >> parameters during boot. But it might still be an acceptable stopgap
8 >> measure if the alternative is to not boot at all.
9 >
10 > No, don't do that for an "install" kernel, that way is madness, just use
11 > a real UEFI bootloader which can handle an initrd and the like properly
12
13 Can you explain what problems you see with that? How does
14 CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE handle initrd improperly?
15
16 > Only boot a kernel directly from UEFI if you build your own and have
17 > customized it for your hardware.
18
19 I booted genkernel generated non-customized kernels as well as customized
20 hand-configured kernels using that method.
23 Best regards,
24 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn