From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage newbie needs help -- Please ignore the other one
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:45:00
1 On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 07:39:12PM -0700, Dominic Leland wrote:
2
3 > Since the last time I tried this seemed to break my pkgmerge, I tried to
4 > merge some packages off of CDROM. Nope. I keep getting errors (something
5 > like "index out of range").
6 >
7 > I'm really anxious to get my system up and running and upgradable. I like
8 > how the newer portage is recursive. Any help from the portage adepts is much
9 > appreciated.
10
11 The new pkgmerge is designed for our "generation two" .tbz2 format, and doesn't
12 work with the earlier .tbz2 packages included with Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc4_pre2.
13 This means that before upgrading Portage to 1.5, you should pkgmerge everything
14 you need from the rc4_pre2 CD first. After that, you'll need to do this to
15 install an rc4_pre2 package:
16
17 # cat pkg.tbz2 | bzip2 -d | tar xpvf - -C /
18
19 pre/post inst/rm scripts won't be called when using this simplified install, but
20 most packages don't have them and all will be well.
23 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
24 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
25 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.