From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:32:39
1 On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 20:24 +0000, Richard Brown wrote:
2 > Why is it a such a problem to be clear? The council is proposing changes
3 > that affect us all, giving us two days to discuss it, and then a council
4 > member is shouting at someone when he says he thinks the CoC is unclear?
5
6 I am shouting at no one. At no point have I done anything to indicate
7 any sort of anger.
8
9 > Finally, I'm struggling to see the respect in your replies to a
10 > jaervosz, something the new CoC the council are about to order us to
11 > follow suggests is an integral part of acceptable behaviour when
12 > disagreeing with or challenging someone.
13
14 If you're failing to see the "respect" in my replies I get the feeling
15 that you're reading much more into my replies than the simple text that
16 is laid out in my emails. I'm not going to respond to this thread
17 anymore, since I'm apparently being disrespectful by attempting to
18 provide answers to the questions given.
19
20 Here's my opinion, and this doesn't reflect the thoughts of the Council,
21 at all. Sure, you can say that it reflects the thoughts of one Council
22 member, but not the whole. I'm sick of this. Writing is not like code.
23 Writing is interpreted. There isn't a right and wrong in writing. You
24 don't have to always be exact and specific. You don't have to be
25 pedantic and list out every single detail to every single point. You
26 also don't have to pick apart every single word that every single person
27 says on every single post. This sort of attitude of trying to point out
28 everyone else's flaws is part of the reason we have such a culture of
29 mistrust and hostility within Gentoo. If you'd read something into my
30 posts on this matter other than what is simply stated, you've done my
31 writing a disservice and have tried to place an interpretation where it
32 was expected that there would be none. Because of this, I am
33 determining that I have failed in getting my point across properly, and
34 rather than wasting any more of everyone's time trying to continually
35 rectify my shortcomings, will leave the responses for others who are
36 more eloquent than myself to write.
37
38 Have a good day everyone.
41 Chris Gianelloni
42 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
43 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
44 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
45 Gentoo Foundation