From: Richard Brown <rbrown@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:29:19
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > What exactly do previous examples have to do with us saying that our
3 > past efforts didn't work and our trying to come up with a *new* way of
4 > doing these things to not repeat past problems/mistakes?
5 >
6 > Let me just clarify this.
7 >
8 > We don't care how things were done in the past. We are looking
9 > *forward* and trying to come up with the best solution from here on out.
12 You're contradicting yourself. You're saying "things" didn't work in
13 the past, but these "things", and by inference the reasons why they
14 happened the way they did, have no relevance to your plans to improve
15 "things"?
16
17 > *sigh*
18 >
19 > I wasn't aware that I would have to spell out everything. How about
20 > this, then?
21 >
22 > EVERYTHING with gentoo.org or #gentoo-* in it? Is that good enough?
23 >
24 > (Looking forward to the day when we don't have to be so damned pedantic
25 > in everything that we write.)
26
27 Why is it a such a problem to be clear? The council is proposing changes
28 that affect us all, giving us two days to discuss it, and then a council
29 member is shouting at someone when he says he thinks the CoC is unclear?
30 In your original reply, you didn't exactly exude confidence when you
31 said "I'm pretty sure this is the stance we're taking on it."
32
33 If jaervosz feels the policy is unclear, when would it have been
34 appropriate for him to ask for clarification? After the council has
35 declared it law, or after he's received his first warning?
36
37 Finally, I'm struggling to see the respect in your replies to a
38 jaervosz, something the new CoC the council are about to order us to
39 follow suggests is an integral part of acceptable behaviour when
40 disagreeing with or challenging someone.
41
42 Apologies for length,
45 Richard Brown
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list