From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:08:33
1 On 09/06/06, Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o> wrote:
2 > Chris Bainbridge wrote:
3 > > There are already loads of semi-official overlays. Besides the stuff
4 > > actually hosted by gentoo (random example
5 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/bzr/overlay/) there are official
6 > > groups (again, not picking on anyone but exampes would be java, php,
7 > > webapps...) with semi-official overlays. I don't know if the overlays
8 > > are actually hosted on gentoo hardware, but when they're run by gentoo
9 > > devs, publically available, and referred to in forums, bugzilla,
10 > > mailing lists etc. then that at least makes them "semi-official".
11 > I don't agree with that "semi-official" term.
12 >
13 > We for example have an overlay for the Haskell project. Nevertheless,
14 > we consider it the official overlay for our group, but not for Gentoo. So
15 > that way we can use it as our sand-box, to play with it as much as we
16 > can, and giving commit access to even non-developers, the advantage
17
18 The Haskell overlay isn't publically available (at least, layman
19 doesn't know about it). That makes it quite different from the
20 "semi-official" overlays I gave as examples.
21
22 Whether something is "semi-official" or not is all about perception.
23 If people see that a project is run by gentoo developers, possibly
24 formed into a gentoo group, using gentoo resources (bugzilla, forums,
25 mailing lists etc) to discuss and organise, then there will be a
26 perception that the project has some semblance of officiality.
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list