From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANNOUNCE] Project Sunrise - Gentoo User Overlay
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 01:44:27
1 Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On 08/06/06, Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I do very much object to using any gentoo.org infrastructure or
4 >> subdomains to do so. If someone is going to tackle that, it should be
5 >> done outside of Gentoo proper. We don't need to be stuck maintaining and
6 >> supporting a semiofficial overlay.
7 >
8 > There are already loads of semi-official overlays. Besides the stuff
9 > actually hosted by gentoo (random example
10 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/bzr/overlay/) there are official
11 > groups (again, not picking on anyone but exampes would be java, php,
12 > webapps...) with semi-official overlays. I don't know if the overlays
13 > are actually hosted on gentoo hardware, but when they're run by gentoo
14 > devs, publically available, and referred to in forums, bugzilla,
15 > mailing lists etc. then that at least makes them "semi-official".
16 I don't agree with that "semi-official" term.
17
18 We for example have an overlay for the Haskell project. Nevertheless,
19 we consider it the official overlay for our group, but not for Gentoo. So
20 that way we can use it as our sand-box, to play with it as much as we
21 can, and giving commit access to even non-developers, the advantage
22 with this model, is that at some degree we compromise ourselves as a
23 group with the "little" base users who dare to test experimental stuff
24 (that
25 probably will *never* find its way into portage), but we keep Gentoo as
26 project excluded from such a responsibility. And.. isn't that the real
27 sense
28 behind the "overlay" concept?, to have an "official" overlay wouldn't
29 break the
30 main goal of it?, and even more, an official maintainer-wanted overlay
31 sounds
32 more crazy to me.
33
34 Regards,