From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] Split distfile mirror directory structure
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2018 20:16:14
1 On 01/27/2018 02:01 PM, Gordon Pettey wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 10:48 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 01/27/2018 11:42 AM, Gordon Pettey wrote:
4 >>> Why not use a hash of the file name instead of its contents?...
5 >>
6 >> That's the proposal =P
7 >
8 > I'm not following, then. What's all this about a temporary directory
9 > because of not knowing the hash in advance? The ebuild must specify
10 > the file name, or src_unpack wouldn't work. There is never a point
11 > where the file name, and therefore its hash, is unknown.
14 There were three proposed ways to split up the files: by filename,
15 hash(filename), and hash(filedata). The winner was hash(filename). The
16 GLEP lists only two reasons for rejecting hash(filedata), and I was
17 curious about them.