From: Peter Faraday Weller <welp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Retiring
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 20:43:14
1 On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 19:40 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 [..snip..]
3 >
4 > [snip]
5 > > The only issue I have with the idea is that projects with dead
6 > > members
7 > > and slacking leaders are unlikely to perform such a task, so you'll
8 > > never get any updates from them, so devs will be demotivated to work
9 > > on
10 > > $project, and thus we enter the vicious cycle again...
11 > >
12 > > welp
13 > >
14 > Welp,
15 >
16 > Not so.
17 >
18 > These projects would be delegated upwards to the council and either
19 > scrapped offically, or some recruitment process started to breath new
20 > life into them.
21 >
22 > Maybe dead projects are cleaned like treecleaners ?
23
24 This actually sounds like a pretty good idea, and one that I might
25 actually be interested in.
26
27 Someone working within such a project would have to be in close
28 communication with most/all of the team leads within Gentoo. I feel that
29 this would be a better solution than asking for (semi-)regular updates
30 from the teams - having someone to have a chat with the team lead is
31 much less formal and more relaxed way of ensuring that things are well.
32 If it seems that the project is having problems staying alive, a call
33 for help could be put out. If there is no improvement, the project could
34 be referred to the Gentoo Council to see if it should be
35 removed/abolished, otherwise...
36
37 Opinions/ideas welpcome!
38