From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping dev-lang/lua:5.2
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 10:50:50
1 On 2021-07-09 17:34, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 >>> Actually upstream does say when they will stop supporting each version
4 >>> [1].
5 >>
6 >> Um, where? Because I've looked at this page before, I've looked at it
7 >> again just now and I all can see there is that there will be no further
8 >> releases of Lua versions up to and including 5.2, and that there will
9 >> *probably* be no more 5.3 releases. No official End of Life statements,
10 >> no EOL timeline, and 5.3 is apparently both dead and alive at the same
11 >> time - which is fine for cats but not so for software.
12 >
13 > I guess it is a matter of interpretation then, "there will be no further
14 > releases" means end of life, to me anyway.
15
16 Okay, in that case everyone who interprets this as Lua 5.1 having
17 officially been EOLed can substitute the relevant part of the first
18 sentence of my RFC with "the Lua ecosystem is a bloody nightmare because
19 new versions regularly introduce API incompatibilities and a lot of
20 application developers have never bothered to update their Lua code for
21 anything newer than 5.1 in spite of <dev-lang/lua-5.3 having been EOLed,
22 in part because dev-lang/luajit having never reached compatibility with
23 even the 5.2 API".
24
25 Not that it changes any of my conclusions, IMHO.
26
27 >> Two, more importantly, making LuaJIT the only available implementation
28 >> of the 5.1 API would severely cripple Lua support on alpha, hppa, ia64,
29 >> riscv, s390 and sparc (which have all got keywords on dev-lang/lua:5.1
30 >> but are not supported by LuaJIT at all) as well as force arm64 and
31 >> ppc64le users to use a 2.1-beta version. This I am afraid might be the
32 >> deal breaker, as I honestly cannot imagine Gentoo suddenly implementing
33 >> support for all those arches.
34 >
35 > Some of the arches you listed are not stable, so I don't think we have
36 > to worry about those arches (see arches.desc). If the arch isn't stable,
37 > we can't guarantee anything.
38
39 I am pretty sure that the ~arch status does NOT give us the right to
40 de-keyword packages en masse.
41
42 > There is activity in luajit upstream, so hopefully they will do a new
43 > release that supports the newer lua versions. I do agree that it is
44 > problematic that they only support lua 5.1.
45
46 I really do hope Mike Pall (i.e. LuaJIT upstream) will eventually
47 release stable 2.1 - but between how long it has been since the latest
48 beta and that he responds with something between impatience and
49 hostility to any requests for a new release, LuaJIT has to me been
50 looking more and more like one of those artisanal projects (not
51 necessarily software ones) whose creators chip at them in perpetuity
52 without ever reaching the state worthy of being considered finished.
55 Marecki

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature