From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping dev-lang/lua:5.2
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 16:34:47
1 On Fri, Jul 09, 2021 at 04:49:59PM +0100, Marek Szuba wrote:
2 > On 2021-07-09 15:35, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >
4 > >> As many (if not most) of you know, the Lua ecosystem is somewhat awkward
5 > >> owing to the facts that on the one hand dev-lang/lua upstream has never
6 > >> officially declared end of life on older versions,
7 > >
8 > > Actually upstream does say when they will stop supporting each version
9 > > [1].
10 >
11 > Um, where? Because I've looked at this page before, I've looked at it
12 > again just now and I all can see there is that there will be no further
13 > releases of Lua versions up to and including 5.2, and that there will
14 > *probably* be no more 5.3 releases. No official End of Life statements,
15 > no EOL timeline, and 5.3 is apparently both dead and alive at the same
16 > time - which is fine for cats but not so for software.
17
18 I guess it is a matter of interpretation then, "there will be no further
19 releases" means end of life, to me anyway.
20
21 I do agree that we aren't sure about 5.3, but "there will be no further
22 releases" is pretty clear to me.
23 Older than lua 5.3 is dead.
24
25 > > 5.1 can go because luajit would cover it
26 >
27 > Alas, not quite.
28 >
29 > One, we've got quite a few packages in the tree which currently declare
30 > compatibility with lua5-1 but not luajitt. This could probably be
31 > addressed quite easily, the worst I have seen so far after substituting
32 > luajit for lua5-1 is some memory leaks, but it will take some time and
33 > effort to test all such packages.
34 >
35 > Two, more importantly, making LuaJIT the only available implementation
36 > of the 5.1 API would severely cripple Lua support on alpha, hppa, ia64,
37 > riscv, s390 and sparc (which have all got keywords on dev-lang/lua:5.1
38 > but are not supported by LuaJIT at all) as well as force arm64 and
39 > ppc64le users to use a 2.1-beta version. This I am afraid might be the
40 > deal breaker, as I honestly cannot imagine Gentoo suddenly implementing
41 > support for all those arches.
42
43 Some of the arches you listed are not stable, so I don't think we have
44 to worry about those arches (see arches.desc). If the arch isn't stable,
45 we can't guarantee anything.
46
47 There is activity in luajit upstream, so hopefully they will do a new
48 release that supports the newer lua versions. I do agree that it is
49 problematic that they only support lua 5.1.
50
51 William