From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Dropping dev-lang/lua:5.2
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 15:50:13
1 On 2021-07-09 15:35, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 >> As many (if not most) of you know, the Lua ecosystem is somewhat awkward
4 >> owing to the facts that on the one hand dev-lang/lua upstream has never
5 >> officially declared end of life on older versions,
6 >
7 > Actually upstream does say when they will stop supporting each version
8 > [1].
9
10 Um, where? Because I've looked at this page before, I've looked at it
11 again just now and I all can see there is that there will be no further
12 releases of Lua versions up to and including 5.2, and that there will
13 *probably* be no more 5.3 releases. No official End of Life statements,
14 no EOL timeline, and 5.3 is apparently both dead and alive at the same
15 time - which is fine for cats but not so for software.
16
17 > 5.1 can go because luajit would cover it
18
19 Alas, not quite.
20
21 One, we've got quite a few packages in the tree which currently declare
22 compatibility with lua5-1 but not luajitt. This could probably be
23 addressed quite easily, the worst I have seen so far after substituting
24 luajit for lua5-1 is some memory leaks, but it will take some time and
25 effort to test all such packages.
26
27 Two, more importantly, making LuaJIT the only available implementation
28 of the 5.1 API would severely cripple Lua support on alpha, hppa, ia64,
29 riscv, s390 and sparc (which have all got keywords on dev-lang/lua:5.1
30 but are not supported by LuaJIT at all) as well as force arm64 and
31 ppc64le users to use a 2.1-beta version. This I am afraid might be the
32 deal breaker, as I honestly cannot imagine Gentoo suddenly implementing
33 support for all those arches.
36 Marecki

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature