From: Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 needs testers
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:32:00
1 On Thu, November 18, 2004 11:08 am, Donnie Berkholz said:
2 > 1. No fonts. None. Zero. This means X always dies with "Can't find font
3 > fixed" unless you provide your own. This could potentially be changed if
4 > I find a way to just build the "misc" fonts.
5
6 'essentialfonts' USE flag, on by default
7
8 > 2. None of Tad's fancy cursors
9
10 'fancycursors', probably on by default
11
12 > 3. No clients. This includes xfs, xdm and xkbcomp.
13
14 ok, probably somethign that should be in 'minimal'
15
16 > 4. Nothing in /usr/share/doc
17
18 'doc'
19
20 > 5. No Xnest or Xvfb
21 > 7. For x86 only, remove these video drivers: nsc, glint, tga, s3,
22 > s3virge, rendition, neomagic, i740, cirrus, tseng, trident, chips, apm,
23 > ark, cyrix, siliconmotion. I wasn't sure what was safe for other archs
24 > and didn't want to play around without some more research.
25 > Of those, the only questionable ones to me are s3, s3virge and
26 > especially siliconmotion. I could see the latter being popular on
27 > systems that would otherwise use the "minimal" flag.
28
29 How about a VIDEO_DRIVERS enviroment var thats set in make.conf or command
30 line, that let the ebuild checks for - if its something like 'trident fb
31 i810', then it builds those, if its not set or empty, then it builds
32 everything. i think your able to specify alsa drivers in some ebuild that
33 way
34
35 > 8. No man pages
36
37 again, the 'doc' USE flag
40 Wasn't there a GLEP about USE flag grouping? just make '-doc -fancycursors
41 minimal -fonts' in a USE flag group, when/if that functionality gets into
42 portage
45 Joseph Booker
46 joe @ irc.neoturbine.net
47 jj110888 @ irc.freenode.net