From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 needs testers
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:08:53
1 On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 09:10 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 15:01 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > Another USE flag that I'm pleased with is "minimal." It disables
4 > > building all of the sample clients, all of the fonts and many of the
5 > > drivers. A test install using this was 28MB, compared to 100MB-150MB for
6 > > a full-featured install.
7 >
8 > Please expound on the "many" of "many of the drivers" for us or point us
9 > to a location that describes exactly what this removes. I'm curious,
10 > because I am currently using "minimal" on LiveCD builds due to its
11 > impact on vim, but I probably will not want it on xorg-x11 if it could
12 > possibly break systems or leave out functionality that others will want,
13 > which means I will have to work around this.
14
15 OK, here's some more info on minimal, pulled straight from searching the
16 ebuild for occurrences of "minimal":
17
18 1. No fonts. None. Zero. This means X always dies with "Can't find font
19 fixed" unless you provide your own. This could potentially be changed if
20 I find a way to just build the "misc" fonts.
21
22 2. None of Tad's fancy cursors
23
24 3. No clients. This includes xfs, xdm and xkbcomp.
25
26 4. Nothing in /usr/share/doc
27
28 5. No Xnest or Xvfb
29
30 6. Input drivers limited to mouse and keyboard. Nothing fancy like
31 aiptek or wacom.
32
33 7. For x86 only, remove these video drivers: nsc, glint, tga, s3,
34 s3virge, rendition, neomagic, i740, cirrus, tseng, trident, chips, apm,
35 ark, cyrix, siliconmotion. I wasn't sure what was safe for other archs
36 and didn't want to play around without some more research.
37
38 Of those, the only questionable ones to me are s3, s3virge and
39 especially siliconmotion. I could see the latter being popular on
40 systems that would otherwise use the "minimal" flag.
41
42 8. No man pages