From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 needs testers
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:31:36
1 On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 09:08 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > OK, here's some more info on minimal, pulled straight from searching the
3 > ebuild for occurrences of "minimal":
4
5 I'm pleased to announce that USE=minimal now actually produces something
6 usable. In fact, I'm writing this email from a USE=minimal build. The
7 full installation is 26MB.
8
9 Updates for the latest version:
10
11 1. Only a minimal cadre of fonts are built. I think a quick command can
12 show this best:
13
14 donnie@supernova ~ $ du -sh /usr/share/fonts/misc/
15 188K /usr/share/fonts/misc/
16 donnie@supernova ~ $ du -sh /usr/share/fonts/encodings/
17 820K /usr/share/fonts/encodings/
18
19 My bet is that most (if not all) of the encodings can also be removed
20 for a small additional savings.
21
22 This compares with a typical customized installation with
23 USE="-bitmap-fonts":
24
25 donnie@supernova ~ $ du -sh
26 xorg-unpacked/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1/usr/share/fonts/
27 21M xorg-unpacked/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1/usr/share/fonts/
28
29 With USE=bitmap-fonts (the default), it would be quite a bit larger.
30
31 2. A minimal set of clients is built -- enough to run `startx` and add
32 new fonts with.
33
34 3. The video drivers (on x86) have been reduced to an absolute minimum,
35 as discussed elsewhere on this thread.
36
37 4. USE=minimal is independent of other USE flags, so people could
38 potentially enable a minimal build plus TrueType fonts.
39
40 5. Where to find additional savings is unclear. Perhaps rarely used
41 extensions or libraries could be avoided. Suggestions are welcome.
42
43 Thanks,
44 Donnie