From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reiserfs
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 14:04:32
1 On Tuesday 14 May 2002 01:50 pm, Matthew Kennedy wrote:
2
3 > Hmmm... I had a LVM on RAID-0 disaster with JFS after a week which I
4 > never had with ext3 or XFS (using thoses for months). Although I can't
5 > prove it, I suspect JFS somehow caused the array to become corrupted.
6 >
7 > But JFS is pretty sweet if it works for you. It is about a zippy for
8 > small files as reiserfs, while as fast as XFS for big sequencial
9 > accesses.
10
11 It sounds like there may be an LVM issue with JFS.
12
13 Just to clarify, I should note that in all my tests, on all my systems, I have
14 not at any time made use of Linux Volume Management or software RAID of any
15 kind. I have made use of hardware RAID in some instances, simple SCSI or IDE
16 drives in others (and of course "poor man's RAID" in many instances, which
17 basically entails a nightly, or weekly, dd of one disk to an identical
18 mirror).
19
20 For this reason all of the data points (reiser's consistently unreliable
21 behavior over long periods of time, ext2 and XFS's excellent behavior, and
22 JFS apparently good behavior) I've provided have NOT involved interaction
23 with LVM. Indeed, I do not even compile support for LVM into the kernel as a
24 rule.
25
26 I hesitate to spam a bunch of links here, but a simple google search on
27 Reiserfs and data corruption in both the web and news.google.com search
28 engines provide amply justification for Gentoo warning the unwary away from
29 using reiser. That having been said, if people want to add some footnotes to
30 some of those threads, and people's personal, anectdotal experiences, I don't
31 think that would be a bad thing at all.
32
33 Removing the warning as some advocate would be, IMHO.
34
35 Jean.