From: yac <yac@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy-level discussion for minimum versions on dependencies
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 17:57:05
1 On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 16:48:54 +0100
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 2013-11-06 at 10:15 -0500, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
5 > > However, it's been a long-standing general practise that if there
6 > > are no deps in the tree older than what is necessary for a package,
7 > > that package doesn't need to have a minimum version on the
8 > > dependency atom. As such, issues similar to this are probably lying
9 > > in wait all other the place in the tree.
10 >
11 > this is a common misconception: ebuilds must have min. deps matching
12 > their requirements (exactly because of this problem)
13 >
14 > it can be fixed on the user side by 'emerge -uDN world' meanwhile but
15 > this doesn't mean the ebuild doesn't have a bug, even if minor
16 >
17 > Alexis.
18
19 When I started contributing via sunrise, I've been
20 adding the minimal versions of dependencies as declared by upstream
21 but I met with very strict enforcement of the policy to not
22 specify minimal version if all the ones in current tree satisfies.
23
24 Is it documented somewhere or is it just unwritten consensus?
25
26 What I see is only Ebuild Policy [1e] which doesn't deal with this.
27
28 .. [1e] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1
29
30 ---
31 Jan Matějka | Gentoo Developer
32 https://gentoo.org | Gentoo Linux
33 GPG: A33E F5BC A9F6 DAFD 2021 6FB6 3EBF D45B EEB6 CA8B