From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New 17.0 release profiles
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:39:11
1 On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 05:15:05PM +0200, Andreas K. Huettel wrote
2
3 > -> The new profiles will NOT have any entries in profiles.desc
4 > yet. For "normal people" that means DO NOT SWITCH to these profiles
5 > yet. <-
6 >
7 > However, if you're involved with toolchain, languages, etc, already
8 > run gcc-6, and know what you're doing, feel free to adjust your
9 > profile symlink manually. You will have to rebuild all packages
10 > installing static archives because of the PIC flip.
11 >
12 > All testing is appreciated, as is writing of documentation. Just be
13 > advised to watch this list for news since THINGS MAY STILL CHANGE
14 > in weird and wonderful ways.
15
16 I'm running GCC 6.3.0 on a few machines with almost all other packages
17 stable. Only busybox is static on my machines, and it's been rebuilt.
18 So far I've run into...
19
20 * games-board/xfreecell needs CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS} -Wno-narrowing"
21 in a custom env to build.
22
23 * x11-wm/icewm segfaults right after startup when built with GCC 6.3.0
24 so I have to build with 5.4.0. /var/log/Xorg.0.log is useless because
25 it sees a normal startup and a "normal exit". Other people on the
26 Gentoo user forum report no problems with ICEWM under GCC 6.3.0.
27
28 The above 2 items happen on an older desktop and netbook (both 32-bit
29 Gentoo), and a newer desktop (64-bit Gentoo). I'm partially finished
30 re-installing on a "newer" notebook (64-bit Gentoo). Questions...
31
32 1) Should I be doing bug reports on the Gentoo bugzilla or upstream?
33
34 2) What is the detailed procedure for adjusting symlinks to the 17.0
35 profile? Probably simple enough after you've done it once or twice,
36 but I've never had to do it manually before. According to
37 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_Gentoo
38
39 > In the simplest case users only have to change the
40 > /etc/portage/make.profile symlink, in the worst case they may have
41 > to recompile the entire system from scratch while doing a neat
42 > voodoo dance.
45 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
46 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications