From: "Aaron D. Brooks" <abrooks@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] baselayout ebuild
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 21:03:21
1 After my own stupidity of being bitten, not once, but twice by the perl
2 build breaking because localhost was not in /etc/hosts I decided to plunk
3 around and figure out if that omission was intentional or not. It seems to
4 me that the baselayout ebuild (all versions that I have checked) is
5 broken.
6
7 The /etc/hosts file that is distributed in rc-scripts-(blah).tar.bz2 has
8 only comments and no real entries. The baselayout ebuild tries to append a
9 localhost line to /etc/hosts in src_install() but never makes it; it
10 returns before it gets to that point for the common case:
11 #skip this if we are merging to ROOT
12 [ "$ROOT" = "/" ] && return
13
14 I'm not sure that appending the localhost entry is the right thing to do
15 anyway. If I upgrade from one version of baselayout to another I will
16 accumulate localhost entries to my /etc/hosts. I don't think that
17 localhost need to be added dynamically -- it's a static entry.
18
19 I would suggest that this be added to the /etc/hosts in the rc-scripts
20 archive:
21
22 127.0.0.1 localhost.localnet localhost
23
24 and that the /etc/networks in rc-scripts be changed from:
25
26 loopback 127.0.0.0
27
28 to:
29
30 localnet 172.0.0.0
31
32 The reason that I suggest these particular changes is that they are, I
33 belive, the most cannonical with regard to some DNS clients and tools.
34
35 -Aaron