From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dev-python/ package naming policy?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 11:01:05
1 On Sat, 2023-01-28 at 17:38 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > To improve consistency and make packages easier to find, I'd like to
3 > propose going forward that when packages are published on PyPI, we use
4 > their official PyPI names. This also means preserving the case for
5 > the few packages that use CamelCase names and similar.
6 >
7 > Some modifications will be necessary. For example, it is legal for PyPI
8 > package names to include dot (".") — we normally translate that to a
9 > hyphen ("-"). We may also have use cases for creating multiple Gentoo
10 > packages from the same PyPI package (see e.g. dev-python/ensurepip-*).
11 > Then, there are of course Python packages that aren't published on PyPI.
12 >
13 > Still, I think as a general rule of thumb this would make sense. WDYT?
16 To add a data point, the "Flask-Babel" package has been renamed to
17 "flask-babel" upstream today. Unfortunately, minor changes to names are
18 not that uncommon (pkgcheck regularly catches them via "mismatched"
19 remote-ids). This also means that now this one package is inconsistent
20 with the rest of capitalized "Flask" packages.
21
22 In the end, I'm still not sure whether this policy really makes sense.
23 Perhaps it should be relaxed to allow case mismatches, if only to allow
24 us to retain in-tree consistency when upstreams fail to be consistent.
25
26 However, there's a can of worms around the corner -- should we also
27 allow normalizing "-" and "_" across different packages (see dev-
28 python/sphinx*)?
29
30 Now you see why we didn't have a policy for this before.
33 Best regards,
34 Michał Górny