From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr/portage --> /var/portage
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:46:08
1 Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o> writes:
2
3 > Eivind Tagseth <eivindt-gentoo@××××××××.no> writes:
4 >> * Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o> [2004-01-15 13:29:45 -0600]:
5 >>
6 >>> Meder Bakirov <bakirov@××××××××.kg> writes:
7 >>
8 >>> For /usr/portage/distfiles, I'm not sure. Since it is essentially
9 >>> architecture independent, I believe the following is appropriate:
10 >>>
11 >>> /usr/portage/distfiles -> /usr/share/portage/distfiles
12 >>>
13 >>> I think the above is in-line with the Linux FHS.
14 >>
15 >> I'd like to see distfiles somewhere under /var. I don't know if it's
16 >> just me, but I don't like distfiles/ to be continually growing with
17
18 > [...]
19
20 > IIRC, thats not very standard -- but what do we care.
21
22 > /usr/share --> "share" means exactly that -- sharable! It is sharable
23 > because it is only supposed to contain architecture independent stuff.
24 > You should be able to share /usr/share via NFS etc. to other machines,
25 > and I can see that distfiles is a prime candidate for that.
26
27 Yes, it is sharable, but it is also cache data. So it could go in
28 either /usr/share or /var/cache, except that there are other benefits
29 to putting it on /var, namely fragmentation issues. It is also useful
30 to note that in an environment where /usr/share is actually NFS shared,
31 most likely building of packages is only done on one or several
32 machines, and therefore there is no need for distfiles to be accessible
33 on all machines.
36 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list