From: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr/portage --> /var/portage
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:44:52
1 Eivind Tagseth <eivindt-gentoo@××××××××.no> writes:
2
3 > * Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o> [2004-01-15 13:29:45 -0600]:
4 >
5 >> Meder Bakirov <bakirov@××××××××.kg> writes:
6 >
7 >> For /usr/portage/distfiles, I'm not sure. Since it is essentially
8 >> architecture independent, I believe the following is appropriate:
9 >>
10 >> /usr/portage/distfiles -> /usr/share/portage/distfiles
11 >>
12 >> I think the above is in-line with the Linux FHS.
13 >
14 > I'd like to see distfiles somewhere under /var. I don't know if it's
15 > just me, but I don't like distfiles/ to be continually growing with
16
17 [...]
18
19 IIRC, thats not very standard -- but what do we care.
20
21 /usr/share --> "share" means exactly that -- sharable! It is sharable
22 because it is only supposed to contain architecture independent stuff.
23 You should be able to share /usr/share via NFS etc. to other machines,
24 and I can see that distfiles is a prime candidate for that.
25
26 Debian do a stellar job of keeping to this policy.
27
28 Having said that, you could make an argument for
29 /var/portage/distfiles etc. based on the fact that in a heterogeneous
30 environment, distfiles will contain a /few/ architecture-dependent
31 sources.
32
33 Matt
36 Matthew Kennedy