From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo commit in xml/htdocs/proj/en/qa: index.xml
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:07:42
1 Samuli Suominen posted on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:34:35 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 06/17/2011 09:18 PM, Duncan wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Meanwhile, case-in-point of why changelogging removals matters. My
6 >> last post was to a kde list, helping someone trying to build kdelibs on
7 >> RHEL. He was missing the libdbusmenu-qt dependency
8
9 >> Because the information was in the changelog
10
11 >> 0.3.2 isn't much more than a year old (on RHEL 5 it's likely an
12 >> upgrade!), but was already considered old enough to remove
13 >> ~6 months later.
14 >>
15 >> That information on 0.3.2 removal wouldn't have been available to me
16 >> had someone not put it in the changelog.
17
18 >> Having that information not available locally on my system, either by
19 >> changelog as now, or by git whatchanged, if users finally get access to
20 >> direct git-pull once the main tree is git-upgraded, would be a serious
21 >> regression.
24 > I'm sorry, but honestly, did you have a point in there somewhere?
25
26 Mike's correct.
27
28 Not having package removal information in the changelog would be a
29 serious regression, as the last paragraph states in summary of the
30 previous, which is excerpted above.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman