From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo commit in xml/htdocs/proj/en/qa: index.xml
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:45:41
1 On 06/17/2011 09:18 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger posted on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:44:52 -0400 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> On Friday, June 17, 2011 11:31:43 Duncan wrote:
5 >>> It's worth pointing out that if Mike and others' workflow already
6 >>> involves a lot of this, they'd be modifying it very little if they
7 >>> simply avoided separate removals. In fact, in borderline cases where a
8 >>> trivial change may not have made it on its own, as it waited for a
9 >>> bigger change to come along to be worth doing, the removals combined
10 >>> with the trivial change may now trigger the trivial change commit
11 >>> earlier than it would have occurred otherwise.
12 >>
13 >> if you look at my commit behavior, this is exactly the sort of thing i
14 >> avoid.
15 >> my cvs commits are pretty logically clean to the point where importing
16 >> into git would result in nice behavior. which means i make one commit
17 >> to remove, one commit to fix a specific bug, one commit to version bump,
18 >> etc...
19 >
20 > Good point and exactly the behavior best on git as it makes for far
21 > easier and more effective git bisects when necessary. Unfortunately (for
22 > oh so many reasons!!), Gentoo's main tree and workflow isn't "git-ified"
23 > yet. But I can certainly commend someone whose personal standards demand
24 > that same one-thing-and-one-thing-only commit separation, modern dVCS or
25 > not.
26 >
27 > Meanwhile, case-in-point of why changelogging removals matters. My last
28 > post was to a kde list, helping someone trying to build kdelibs on RHEL.
29 > He was missing the libdbusmenu-qt dependency, which I was able to point
30 > out, and I went on to describe the version info. Gentoo's kdelibs-4.6.4
31 > dependency for that library is >= libdbusmenu-qt-0.3.2, but I have 0.8.2
32 > installed.
33 >
34 > Because the information was in the changelog, I was able to tell him that
35 > my current 0.8.2 was introduced in April, the other available version on
36 > gentoo, 0.6.2, was introduced in Sept. 2010, there was a version jump (at
37 > least on gentoo) between 0.3.5 (from June, 2010) and 0.6.2, and the 0.3.2
38 > that's gentoo's minimum requirement was introduced on Gentoo in April
39 > 2010 and removed in Sept, 2010. So even 0.3.2 isn't much more than a
40 > year old (on RHEL 5 it's likely an upgrade!), but was already considered
41 > old enough to remove ~6 months later.
42 >
43 > That information on 0.3.2 removal wouldn't have been available to me (at
44 > least not without making a huge project of it, checking Gentoo's viewCVS
45 > logs on the web) had someone not put it in the changelog. Users DO find
46 > that information useful and there have been quite a number of times I
47 > personally have found it useful in helping people not necessarily on
48 > gentoo (tho I believe I've spotted hugely outdated based on changelogs
49 > versions of packages on gentoo-users systems, too), but in other parts of
50 > the FLOSS community.
51 >
52 > Having that information not available locally on my system, either by
53 > changelog as now, or by git whatchanged, if users finally get access to
54 > direct git-pull once the main tree is git-upgraded, would be a serious
55 > regression.
58 I'm sorry, but honestly, did you have a point in there somewhere?