From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo commit in xml/htdocs/proj/en/qa: index.xml
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:22:23
1 Mike Frysinger posted on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:44:52 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Friday, June 17, 2011 11:31:43 Duncan wrote:
4 >> It's worth pointing out that if Mike and others' workflow already
5 >> involves a lot of this, they'd be modifying it very little if they
6 >> simply avoided separate removals. In fact, in borderline cases where a
7 >> trivial change may not have made it on its own, as it waited for a
8 >> bigger change to come along to be worth doing, the removals combined
9 >> with the trivial change may now trigger the trivial change commit
10 >> earlier than it would have occurred otherwise.
11 >
12 > if you look at my commit behavior, this is exactly the sort of thing i
13 > avoid.
14 > my cvs commits are pretty logically clean to the point where importing
15 > into git would result in nice behavior. which means i make one commit
16 > to remove, one commit to fix a specific bug, one commit to version bump,
17 > etc...
18
19 Good point and exactly the behavior best on git as it makes for far
20 easier and more effective git bisects when necessary. Unfortunately (for
21 oh so many reasons!!), Gentoo's main tree and workflow isn't "git-ified"
22 yet. But I can certainly commend someone whose personal standards demand
23 that same one-thing-and-one-thing-only commit separation, modern dVCS or
24 not.
25
26 Meanwhile, case-in-point of why changelogging removals matters. My last
27 post was to a kde list, helping someone trying to build kdelibs on RHEL.
28 He was missing the libdbusmenu-qt dependency, which I was able to point
29 out, and I went on to describe the version info. Gentoo's kdelibs-4.6.4
30 dependency for that library is >= libdbusmenu-qt-0.3.2, but I have 0.8.2
31 installed.
32
33 Because the information was in the changelog, I was able to tell him that
34 my current 0.8.2 was introduced in April, the other available version on
35 gentoo, 0.6.2, was introduced in Sept. 2010, there was a version jump (at
36 least on gentoo) between 0.3.5 (from June, 2010) and 0.6.2, and the 0.3.2
37 that's gentoo's minimum requirement was introduced on Gentoo in April
38 2010 and removed in Sept, 2010. So even 0.3.2 isn't much more than a
39 year old (on RHEL 5 it's likely an upgrade!), but was already considered
40 old enough to remove ~6 months later.
41
42 That information on 0.3.2 removal wouldn't have been available to me (at
43 least not without making a huge project of it, checking Gentoo's viewCVS
44 logs on the web) had someone not put it in the changelog. Users DO find
45 that information useful and there have been quite a number of times I
46 personally have found it useful in helping people not necessarily on
47 gentoo (tho I believe I've spotted hugely outdated based on changelogs
48 versions of packages on gentoo-users systems, too), but in other parts of
49 the FLOSS community.
50
51 Having that information not available locally on my system, either by
52 changelog as now, or by git whatchanged, if users finally get access to
53 direct git-pull once the main tree is git-upgraded, would be a serious
54 regression.
59 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman