From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo commit in xml/htdocs/proj/en/qa: index.xml
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:53:03
1 On Friday, June 17, 2011 11:31:43 Duncan wrote:
2 > What occurred to me in the context of this whole controversy, was that
3 > not only can devs simply leave old versions for someone else to remove,
4 > but they can, and routinely do, remove old versions as part of a commit
5 > changing something in (some of) the remaining ones, as well.
6
7 yes, which is why i find it a bit ironic when people claim that this
8 information is useful while at the same basically generating garbage
9 themselves.
10
11 > It's worth pointing out that if Mike and others' workflow already
12 > involves a lot of this, they'd be modifying it very little if they simply
13 > avoided separate removals. In fact, in borderline cases where a trivial
14 > change may not have made it on its own, as it waited for a bigger change
15 > to come along to be worth doing, the removals combined with the trivial
16 > change may now trigger the trivial change commit earlier than it would
17 > have occurred otherwise.
18
19 if you look at my commit behavior, this is exactly the sort of thing i avoid.
20 my cvs commits are pretty logically clean to the point where importing into
21 git would result in nice behavior. which means i make one commit to remove,
22 one commit to fix a specific bug, one commit to version bump, etc...
23 -mike