From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo commit in xml/htdocs/proj/en/qa: index.xml
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:32:50
1 Rich Freeman posted on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:25:42 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 1:57 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >> Not removing old packages does *NOT* violate the policy.
6 >
7 > And this is why nobody likes lawyers. :)
8 >
9 > Leaving around old packages because of a desire to avoid a policy
10 > doesn't really strike me as an example of exemplary QA either. There
11 > are lots of good reasons to keep a few versions of a package in-tree.
12 > None of them should be used merely as excuses to avoid running the
13 > "echangelog" command.
14
15 Reading a changelog (yes, READING A CHANGELOG!! people actually DO use
16 them, and occasionally depend on entries when versions are removed, but
17 that's covered territory) at my last update yesterday, something occurred
18 to me...
19
20 The particular entry in question listed some trivial change in maintained
21 ebuilds, then said "Remove old". There was accordingly a list of a bunch
22 of removed versions, along with the versions modified by the update.
23
24 What occurred to me in the context of this whole controversy, was that
25 not only can devs simply leave old versions for someone else to remove,
26 but they can, and routinely do, remove old versions as part of a commit
27 changing something in (some of) the remaining ones, as well.
28
29 It's worth pointing out that if Mike and others' workflow already
30 involves a lot of this, they'd be modifying it very little if they simply
31 avoided separate removals. In fact, in borderline cases where a trivial
32 change may not have made it on its own, as it waited for a bigger change
33 to come along to be worth doing, the removals combined with the trivial
34 change may now trigger the trivial change commit earlier than it would
35 have occurred otherwise.
36
37 So depending on the individual package and how often minor changes as
38 opposed to version removals are necessary, it's entirely possible that
39 deliberately abstaining from removal-only commits won't visibly change
40 the workflow AT ALL, or that if it does, it's in favor of getting those
41 minor changes in faster than they'd otherwise appear.
42
43 [Deleted a bunch I 100% agree with.]
44
45 > The one thing I hope doesn't come out of this is a Council that is even
46 > more reluctant to act out of fear of being slapped around by the
47 > community anytime a developer threatens to quit.
48
49 That was worth repeating. ++
50
51 > If we think that tweaking the changelog policy causes pain,
52 > just wait to see how the git migration goes.
53
54 True but scary.
59 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman