From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo commit in xml/htdocs/proj/en/qa: index.xml
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 14:26:21
1 On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 1:57 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
2 > Not removing old packages does *NOT* violate the policy.
3
4 And this is why nobody likes lawyers. :)
5
6 Leaving around old packages because of a desire to avoid a policy
7 doesn't really strike me as an example of exemplary QA either. There
8 are lots of good reasons to keep a few versions of a package in-tree.
9 None of them should be used merely as excuses to avoid running the
10 "echangelog" command. I could see foot-dragging over a policy that
11 requires refactoring many ebuilds or something, but the Council tends
12 to avoid things like this precisely because they are onerous.
13 Personally I tend to just run echangelog for everything anyway - it is
14 easier to changelog a trivial change than to spend half a week on -dev
15 debating anybody who questions whether it is trivial. Besides, I
16 spend much of my career working on systems that won't commit anything
17 without a documented "reason for change" - the changelogs on these
18 systems typically grow to fill 75% of the entire databases. Gentoo is
19 like a breath of fresh air...
20
21 The one thing I hope doesn't come out of this is a Council that is
22 even more reluctant to act out of fear of being slapped around by the
23 community anytime a developer threatens to quit. Sure, we can't
24 really afford to lose people, but we can even less afford a system
25 where any one person can just hold the entire endeavor hostage. If we
26 think that tweaking the changelog policy causes pain, just wait to see
27 how the git migration goes. Sometimes individual devs just need to
28 see which way the wind is blowing and do their part to make sure we at
29 least end up anywhere other than going in circles...
30
31 Rich