From: Paul Waring <pwaring@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] a #g-d first impression might represent process and metastructure
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 08:29:23
1 On 6/9/05, Stephen P. Becker <geoman@g.o> wrote:
2 > Without hearing the other side of the story or seeing a transcript of
3 > the conversation, it is hard to say whether whoever this was reacted
4 > properly or not, however I would say they have a major stick up their
5 > ass. Don't assume everybody in #gentoo-dev would have reacted to your
6 > query the same way. For example, people have asked me for voice a few
7 > times, and I grant it to them if their question or concern actually has
8 > to do with development of gentoo. If the request amounts to user
9 > support, I tell them to try #gentoo or bugzilla.
10
11 Having spent quite a long time on IRC/Bugzilla/-dev I can say that
12 Stephen is right here - there are some devs who, for whatever reason,
13 not particularly welcoming to newcomers. I've been on the receiving
14 end of some of their comments and it's not very nice, and caused me to
15 step back from getting involved any further for quite some time.
16 However, having said that there are also some decent devs who are more
17 than willing to help (even on simple ebuild queries when perhaps I
18 should have read the docs a bit further before asking) and get new
19 people on board. You just have to know who to approach and the best
20 way to do so.
21
22 Finally, having met a lot of the UK developers I can tell you that
23 none of them (even Ciaran ;) are as bad as you might think based on
24 their attitude on IRC.
25
26 Paul
29 Rogue Tory