From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Summary] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:10:14
1 >| Is there any possibility that easier low quality contribution makes
2 >| the high quality contributions easier?
3 >
4 >Only to the extent that they get me to write better documentation :)
5 >
6 >| Look at wikipedia - it's amazing that such high quality work (in
7 >| general) can come from lightly peer review material with low barriers
8 >| to entry.
9 >|
10 >| Clearly not an appropriate model here, but I can't help wondering if
11 >| there is not another way...
12 >
13 >Well... Sometimes maintainer-wanted ebuilds are worked upon by multiple
14 >people. It happens, but not very often.
18 I was pondering this last night.
19
20 Whilst there is clearly no substitute for a high quality standard for
21 "x86", etc, it seems to me that we are missing a trick with all the
22 "maintainer wanted" ebuilds which tend to be scattered around the web.
23
24 It seems to me that perhaps it would be useful to have a centralised
25 development area where stuff can "gestate" before making it into the
26 testing pool that we have today. It could be argued that this exists
27 and is called bugzilla, but I wonder if we can do better?
28
29 What about adding another layer (or two) to the flags so that
30 development ebuilds can be developed centrally to gentoo and hence
31 available in portage, but lowering the barrier to entry. At the
32 simplest this could be used to allow a non core developer to bump an
33 ebuild to a new version in response to some release. It goes into the
34 "highly unstable" section which shouldn't be seen by any normal person,
35 yet at the same time makes it available to the kiddies who like to test
36 the latest and greatest.
37
38 Now, the follow on to this idea is as follows: It seems to me to be a
39 little arbitrary when something goes stable and I find myself with a
40 number of "~" flags set on an otherwise fairly stable system (I dare say
41 you have a different opinion, but remember I am looking from the outside
42 in).
43
44 Now, at one point in the past there was a gentoo package which phoned
45 home and reported which version of every package you were using. Could
46 these statistics not be used to help direct development time to the most
47 useful areas? I'm thinking along the lines of noticing that 90% of the
48 userbase is running a version of xmltv which is 5 versions newer than
49 the stable one, hence it's probably fairly stable, and in need up being
50 marked as stable...
51
52 These statistics could also be used as a first line quality check for
53 any ebuilds in the proposed "development" ebuild area. So for example,
54 if there is a hard-core of users using my "pmwiki" ebuild (which is
55 currently marked as "maintainer wanted"), then this is a clue that it
56 must be fairly stable and popular and worth including (since it will
57 probably require minimal effort).
58
59 It seems like this would go some way towards easing the "easy
60 development" bits and giving everyone more time to work on the important
61 stuff, whilst also making use of the distributed testing effort of some
62 of the more adventurous users...
63
64 Workable?
65