From: Stroller <root@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] webmin flag..? Re: apache/web use flag?
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 08:36:35
1 On 7/7/03 8:58 pm, "Max Kalika" <max+lists.gentoo-dev@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
2
3 > Quoting Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>:
4 >
5 >> Coming across ebuild submissions that have optional parts depending on
6 >> whether you have a web server installed (apache being the big example),
7 >> but in looking through use.desc I only see a USE flag for apache2 -
8 >> nothing for apache, or web, or www, what have you? Any opponents to some
9 >> type of use flag along this nature? If not, any recommendations?
10 >
11 > This would be vastly useful for many things (apcupsd/nut/xmltv/etc).
12
13 It's early in the morning for me, so apologies if this is as blurry to read
14 as it is to write.
15
16 I'd really like to see a "webmin" USE flag.
17
18 I was really pleased when I first migrated to Mandrake Linux to find that
19 facilities like webmin & GUI Kconfiguraton tools were available, then
20 quickly found that all the best HOWTOs referred editing the config files in
21 a text editor.
22
23 vi / nano is now my first approach to configuring any new package
24 - it's just easier that way, to edit the text files & know *exactly* what
25 I'm specifying, rather than relying on a GUI which may respond to a checkbox
26 in an unexpected manner, or make other simplifications for me.
27
28 I was consequently quite shocked when I emerged Samba, to find that the Swat
29 component is hard-wired into ebuild. Now, I'm not disputing that there may
30 be good reasons for this (I take it Swat is distributed as part of the Samba
31 package?), but I had emerge'd this beautiful, simple, non-GUI,
32 server-optimised Unix, and a certainly don't want such rubbish on my
33 system!!
34
35 -I do have Apache webserver on my Gentoo box, but I don't need ANY webbased
36 admin tools at all. Is there any chance of a global "webmin" flag to deal
37 with this..?
38
39 Stroller.
42 Enjoyed this post? Thanks for reading - please consider employing me!
43 Technical support / system administration - CV available on request
44 Linux / Unix / Windows / Mac OS X - UK or anywhere considered
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list