From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help w/Install
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 09:01:27
1 "Jerry A!" wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 04:56:48PM +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 > : >
5 > : Ah I think I understand, the linuxrc program does not detect a valid
6 > : gentoo cd on /dev/hdc.
7 > : Is this correct?
8 >
9 > Bingo!!!!!
10
11 If you can boot from a floppy and concurrently acces your cdrom, I can
12 make you a modified version
13 of linuxrc that only probes your unmapped cdrom device. Making a floppy
14 from images/boot-grub.? creating
15 the device on that floppy and replacing linuxrc should work. Replacing
16 the kernel on that floppy with a
17 one that has support for your network card build if the above solution
18 works should give you the posiibility to
19 grab the sys.tbz2 via ftp and install it instead of the one on the iso.
22 > : So you only have one partition you can use with gentoo?
23 > : If we don't get the iso working on your machine, a solution could be
24 > : using tomstbr (a single floppy distro)
25 > : for installation. It should have all the tools required to setup your
26 > : network, ftp the sys.tbz2 and install it.
27 >
28 > Sadly yes. I can either map the cdrom to ide1 and have it come up as
29 > /dev/hdc or ide2 and have it come up as /dev/hde. Of course the
30 > installer doesn't probe /dev/hde, so I normally choose mapping the cdrom
31 > to ide1. 8)
32
33 Hmm, we should extend linuxrc's device list.
34
35 achim~
38 > --Jerry
39 >
40 > name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
41 > phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
42 > email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
43 > || than that!
46 > gentoo-dev mailing list
47 > gentoo-dev@g.o