From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: splitting one source package into many binaries
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 08:14:28
1 Rafael Ávila de Espíndola posted
2 <200506161952.16146.rafael.espindola@×××××.com>, excerpted below, on Thu,
3 16 Jun 2005 19:51:54 -0300:
4
5 > X might also be a candidate, but
6 > I think that in this case it is better to help xorg to do the split.
7
8 FWIW, xorg is already headed in that direction. Their next release is
9 intended to be dual-track, 6.9.0 in monolithic form as now, 7.0.0 will be
10 the same thing only modularized. There was a bit of a discussion on that
11 topic here a few weeks ago (in which I asked and Donnie covered a number
12 of questions on the Gentoo approach to it), after Donnie pointed to the
13 working roadmap document for the split. The 6.8.99 snapshot ebuilds
14 (hard masked for testing) are the CVS development snapshots of this in
15 portage, still unsplit, as it hasn't yet been split upstream, AFAIK.
20 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
21 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list