From: "Rafael Ávila de Espíndola" <rafael.espindola@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] splitting one source package into many binaries
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:57:19
1 Em Thu 16 Jun 2005 14:05, Patrick Lauer escreveu:
2 > It depends on your point of view.
3 > Having to install 142 -devel packages just to be able to compile $foo is
4 > quite frustrating - I prefer the Gentoo way.
5 I agree. I think that by default emerge <package> should install everything
6 from <package>. My idea is to teach ebuild how to split binary packages but
7 install all of then by default. For example, emerge gcc would install all
8 parts of gcc that are selected by the use flags (gcc proper, g++, libgcc,
9 etc). But now one could do "emerge -C g++".
10
11 > I don't know if there is a demand for this, but if you really need to
12 > shrink stuff, create your own ebuild overlay with "fixed" ebuilds ...
13 I do that right now. I was wondering if someone else would also be interested.
14
15 > Well ... it gets you all kinds of problems because if you split packages
16 > (e.g. X --> X + X-headers) and you want to compile something you'll pull
17 > in the second package anyway. So for most packages I think it's not
18 > really useful.
19 Qt is the package that made me think about the problem. Maybe some
20 client/server split in packages like ssh. X might also be a candidate, but I
21 think that in this case it is better to help xorg to do the split.
22
23 > wkr,
24 > Patrick
25