From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: hasufell@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] commit message format change on the wiki
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 23:51:49
1 >>>>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2014, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 > I would like to suggest a couple of changes to the "commit message
4 > format" section of the Gentoo git Workflow page on the wiki.
5
6 > The first bullet, which states that all lines have a max length of
7 > 70-75 characters is not quite correct. The brief explanation (the
8 > first line) is supposed to be 50 characters or less.
9
10 "No more than 70-75 characters" for the summary is what
11 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches recommends. If we
12 require a "${CATEGORY}/${PN}: " prefix in the summary (which I think
13 is very reasonable) then it will be difficult to shorten this to 50.
14
15 I'd say we should stay with that Linux recommendation. "git log"
16 indents by 4 positions, so a width of 75 chars should still be fine on
17 a terminal with 80 columns.
18
19 Ulrich