From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ethical Policy
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 14:16:27
1 On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 12:42, David Herbert wrote:
2 > Thanks, for writing but again you're avoiding the question, for example a
3 > quote from your website:
4 >
5 > "Gentoo Linux is a versatile and fast, completely free x86-based Linux
6 > distribution"
7 >
8 > will it stay completely free, if so and considering you are not a charity
9 > how do you plan to make money? I assume you do plan to make money out of
10 > the distro?
11
12 Actually, I already answered this question. See item 1 of the Debian
13 Social Contract, "Debian will remain 100% free software." As I stated
14 in my last email, the Debian Social Contract aligns with the policies of
15 Gentoo Linux. I plan to add this as a FAQ item on our Web site soon.
16
17 > "For the most part, these expenses have been coming out of my and our
18 > volunteer network admin's pockets" - This sounds like you are generous,
19 > good spirited, etc. But actually this is true for any startup company,
20 > would I have volenteered or donated money to the startup company called
21 > microsoft, I don't think so. So again if you want to be treated differently
22 > to any other startup company, I think you need to explain how you are
23 > different to the other startup companies.
24
25 OK, good point. The difference is that all our work is released under
26 the GPL, and although we have a development "chain of command," we have
27 a (for the most part) open development model, open bug tracker, open
28 mailing lists and open irc channels. And most importantly, any
29 profit-generating projects will not compromize the "freeness" of Gentoo
30 Linux as a whole. In fact, we are hoping to serve as the base for two
31 other Linux distributions -- SuxOS and Latinux. This is of course not
32 costing these distributions anything. We're happy to work with them
33 because we are a free software project and do not simply follow the GPL
34 in grudging obligation or spend countless hours figuring out ways
35 "around" it.
36
37 "Gentoo Technologies, Inc" is a private C corporation that I use for
38 handling my article/tutorial writing contracts. It also holds the
39 copyrights for Gentoo Linux and owns the gentoo.org domain. Gentoo
40 Technologies has a single employee -- myself. Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
41 generates no income from Gentoo Linux. If and when it does, it will
42 continue to abide by the ethical guidelines set forth in the Debian
43 Social Contract. Of course, making money has nothing to do with with
44 the "freeness" (liberty) of software anyway.
45
46 Also, so far Damon and I have probably spent around $4000 total for
47 Gentoo Linux hardware and hosting costs. gentoo.org is currently being
48 hosted on what up until recently used to be Damon's home PC. So far,
49 Gentoo Technologies has probably received about $350 in advertising
50 revenue and around $350 in donations. So, no one is making money here
51 at the moment.
52
53 But would we like to make money? Yes, absolutely. But such income will
54 not be made by compromising the "freeness" of Gentoo Linux as a whole or
55 by limiting the ability of others to make money from Gentoo Linux.
56 Anyone is free to start a Gentoo Linux-related business and make money
57 using Gentoo Linux; in fact, we encourage this.
58
59 > Does Gentoo Technologies own any domains other than gentoo.org?
60
61 No.
62
63 > And a final point to Chuck Haines, I'm not critising the quality of the
64 > distro, quite the opposite, the portage system is one of the cleaverest,
65 > best designed, therotically superior pieces of software I've seen. I quite
66 > sure the rest of the distro is of equal quaility.
67
68 :)
69
70 Best Regards,