From: David Herbert <mail@××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ethical Policy
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:43:15
1 Hi Daniel,
2
3 Thanks, for writing but again you're avoiding the question, for example a
4 quote from your website:
5
6 "Gentoo Linux is a versatile and fast, completely free x86-based Linux
7 distribution"
8
9 will it stay completely free, if so and considering you are not a charity
10 how do you plan to make money? I assume you do plan to make money out of
11 the distro?
12
13 "For the most part, these expenses have been coming out of my and our
14 volunteer network admin's pockets" - This sounds like you are generous,
15 good spirited, etc. But actually this is true for any startup company,
16 would I have volenteered or donated money to the startup company called
17 microsoft, I don't think so. So again if you want to be treated differently
18 to any other startup company, I think you need to explain how you are
19 different to the other startup companies.
20
21 Does Gentoo Technologies own any domains other than gentoo.org?
22
23 And a final point to Chuck Haines, I'm not critising the quality of the
24 distro, quite the opposite, the portage system is one of the cleaverest,
25 best designed, therotically superior pieces of software I've seen. I quite
26 sure the rest of the distro is of equal quaility.
27
28 Regards,
29 David Herbert
32 ----- Original Message -----
33 From: "Daniel Robbins" <drobbins@g.o>
34 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
35 Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 7:20 PM
36 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ethical Policy