From: mbutcher <mbutcher@××××××××××.tv>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ethical Policy
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 14:04:56
1 There are a few presuppositions floating here that should probably be
2 addressed in order to overcome what appears to be a misunderstanding of a
3 few terms.
4
5 ".org" - being a dot-org does not mean that a company is a "Charity," it
6 means that a company is a not-for-profit company or entity. That may include
7 charities, but it also includes any other company that does not charge for
8 services or products.
9
10 freeness - Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSe, etc. are not "unfree" because they charge
11 for the CD distributions of their products. All three of them (and many many
12 other commercial Linux copies) still provide source code, and still provide
13 downloads free of charge, thus meeting both the "free speech" and "free beer"
14 definitions of free.
15
16 Even _if_ Gentoo sold commercial CDs of Gentoo Linux, they could still make
17 the claim that they were completely free, because it would still be possible
18 to get copies of the source code for every single part of Gentoo, since it is
19 all under GPL.
20
21 GPL - Please don't take this as an affront, but it would probably help you
22 understand the issues if you read through the license (GPL) and some of the
23 auxilary materials at gnu.org. That might help you understand why many of us
24 think that the Debian Social Contract is in some ways restating the obvious.
25 Note that Gnu.org is also a not-for-profit, has been around for many years,
26 and is not "another Microsoft."
27 http://www.gnu.org
28
29 Matt Butcher