From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ethical Policy
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:20:05
1 On Sun, 2002-02-03 at 06:59, David Herbert wrote:
2 > Call me paranoid but before putting effort into gentoo I would like to know more about who gentoo is.
3
4 > You're a .org but are you actually a charity?
5
6 No, we're not a charity but we accept donations to help offset
7 development/hosting/hardware costs. For the most part, these expenses
8 have been coming out of my and our volunteer network admin's pockets.
9 The "donate" button is there so that those who enjoy Gentoo Linux can
10 freely offer their support for our project.
11
12 > What is your relationship to gentoo.com?
13
14 Our domain names both have "gentoo" in them.
15
16 > What is your relationship with IBM?
17
18 None, other than I do contract work for them (indirectly) to pay my
19 bills.
20
21 > I suppose I'm looking for a statement akin to debian's social contract, because at present any ethics (which to me is the whole point of linux) are only implied.
22
23 I don't think that a Gentoo Linux social contract would necessarily be a
24 bad thing. However, from past experience I've found that these kinds of
25 written "ethical guidelines" are often not followed or respected. I
26 also don't see anything in the Debian Social Contract that is anything
27 special. "We won't hide problems"? Isn't this stuff kind of obvious
28 for a free software project? But there are some good things in there.
29 I don't really see this as a "social contract" (since it's not as if
30 it's enforceable), but more like design/policy guidelines.
31
32 > Also it would be nice to have a global option (in /etc/make.conf ?) for allowing only GPL'ed software, GPL + other "open source" licences, or any licence - so the end user can decide.
33
34 Yes, we plan to add that feature at some point.
35
36 Best Regards,
39 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
40 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org