From: Michael Tindal <urilith@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 38: Status of forum moderators in the Gentoo project
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:07:59
1 On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 08:44 +0200, Ioannis Aslanidis wrote:
2 > On 6/28/05, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > > > I think the current suggestion in the GLEP is the best we can
4 > > > achieve. Old moderators may take the quiz, new moderators must. Given
5 > > > enough time all old moderators may retire sooner or later and one day
6 > > > all active moderators will be official.
7 > >
8 > > I just don't see it the same way as you. I agree with having all new
9 > > *global* moderators taking the quiz. However, I completely disagree
10 > > with you that we should have *some* global moderators that have become
11 > > official Gentoo representatives, while others have not. It simply
12 > > causes too much confusion and makes things a serious pain to manage.
13 > > Either the forums become a much more controlled (as in global mods have
14 > > to be staff) environment, or they stay the same. I just don't see how
15 > > any middle ground would be feasible without an enormous amount of
16 > > managerial overhead that seems like a complete waste of time to me.
19 > What I do not understand here is where is the confussion. We accept
20 > the fact that if any mod/admin wants to become staff, he's got to take
21 > the quiz. In our first version of the GLEP, there was a backwards
22 > compatibility section that explained that existing mods/admins
23 > wouldn't have to take the quiz. That was our internal global consensus
24 > and obviously the rest of existing developers do not agree with it.
25 > It's just that you do not let us take care of our own things.
26
27 You want to become official. In that regard, you do not get to take
28 care of your own things anymore. If that was the case, there would be
29 no control over the direction developers take, and there would be no use
30 for any kind of managers, or developer relations, or anything like that.
31
32 > Even thought that, we did agree about the quiz thing. Unfortunately,
33 > some people of our team, with who we agreed on an initial instance are
34 > not frustrated by this. So the best solution I see so everyone gets
35 > his share and have an intermediate position, nor our initial consensus
36 > nor the strict proposal of developers. That is to say, let every
37 > single mod decide if he/she wants to become Gentoo Staff or not.
38
39 If we say half of the global moderators are staff, and the other half
40 are not, how are users supposed to know the difference? Once you become
41 official, the statements made by the forum moderators/administrators are
42 pretty much official statements of Gentoo (to the user anyway). In that
43 regard, its not proper to have a half-way period. Every developer and
44 staff has taken the quiz, I fail to see what makes forum mods so special
45 they deserve an exception;
46
47 > As I said above, I do not understand why it is so confusing.
48 > Mods/admins that do not become staff, would retire sooner or later as
49 > stated by Haas Wernfried, so in the end all mods/admins will be
50 > official Gentoo Staff. We could have a transitory time in here for
51 > them.
52
53 Again, I fail to see why the forum staff deserves an exception to the
54 rules that every other person that is either staff for Gentoo or a
55 developer for Gentoo has to follow.
56
57 > About the language: all global mods do speak (write) English fluently.
58 > That is too obvious. Global Mods and Admins can take the quiz in
59 > English with no problem. The problem comes with our fellow
60 > International Forum Mods, who do not have to meet that requirement as
61 > they won't be doing their job in English. This means that their
62 > English level can be low enough, just to keep up the communication
63 > with the rest of the team. We also have to think that many people in
64 > the Gentoo Forums do not have a good English level and precisely
65 > *that* is the reason International Forums exist. If everyone had a
66 > good English level, International Forums and International Forum
67 > Moderators wouldn't be required, but that's not the case.
68
69 I don't believe anyone here has stated the forum-specific moderators
70 would have to take the quiz, since forum-specific moderators won't be
71 considered staff. If however, they wanted to become global moderators,
72 then they would be required to take the quiz.
73
74 Mike Tindal
77 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list