From: Ioannis Aslanidis <aslanidis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 38: Status of forum moderators in the Gentoo project
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 06:46:55
1 On 6/28/05, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 > > I think the current suggestion in the GLEP is the best we can
3 > > achieve. Old moderators may take the quiz, new moderators must. Given
4 > > enough time all old moderators may retire sooner or later and one day
5 > > all active moderators will be official.
6 >
7 > I just don't see it the same way as you. I agree with having all new
8 > *global* moderators taking the quiz. However, I completely disagree
9 > with you that we should have *some* global moderators that have become
10 > official Gentoo representatives, while others have not. It simply
11 > causes too much confusion and makes things a serious pain to manage.
12 > Either the forums become a much more controlled (as in global mods have
13 > to be staff) environment, or they stay the same. I just don't see how
14 > any middle ground would be feasible without an enormous amount of
15 > managerial overhead that seems like a complete waste of time to me.
18 What I do not understand here is where is the confussion. We accept
19 the fact that if any mod/admin wants to become staff, he's got to take
20 the quiz. In our first version of the GLEP, there was a backwards
21 compatibility section that explained that existing mods/admins
22 wouldn't have to take the quiz. That was our internal global consensus
23 and obviously the rest of existing developers do not agree with it.
24 It's just that you do not let us take care of our own things.
25
26 Even thought that, we did agree about the quiz thing. Unfortunately,
27 some people of our team, with who we agreed on an initial instance are
28 not frustrated by this. So the best solution I see so everyone gets
29 his share and have an intermediate position, nor our initial consensus
30 nor the strict proposal of developers. That is to say, let every
31 single mod decide if he/she wants to become Gentoo Staff or not.
32
33 As I said above, I do not understand why it is so confusing.
34 Mods/admins that do not become staff, would retire sooner or later as
35 stated by Haas Wernfried, so in the end all mods/admins will be
36 official Gentoo Staff. We could have a transitory time in here for
37 them.
38
39 About the language: all global mods do speak (write) English fluently.
40 That is too obvious. Global Mods and Admins can take the quiz in
41 English with no problem. The problem comes with our fellow
42 International Forum Mods, who do not have to meet that requirement as
43 they won't be doing their job in English. This means that their
44 English level can be low enough, just to keep up the communication
45 with the rest of the team. We also have to think that many people in
46 the Gentoo Forums do not have a good English level and precisely
47 *that* is the reason International Forums exist. If everyone had a
48 good English level, International Forums and International Forum
49 Moderators wouldn't be required, but that's not the case.
52 Ioannis Aslanidis
53
54 <deathwing00[at]gentoo.org> 0xB9B11F4E
55 <deathwing00[at]forums.gentoo.org> 0xC2539DA3
56 <aioannis[at]tinet.org> 0xF202D067
57 <dwcommander[at]users.sourceforge.net>
58
59 Hellenic Gentoo GNU/Linux project manager (http://hellenicgentoo.sf.net)
60 FIRECOPS++ project manager (http://firecops.sf.net)
61 Digger Realoaded (http://digger-reloaded.sf.net)
62 Gentoo Forums Global Moderator (http://forums.gentoo.org)
63
64 Computer Engineering student at Universitat Rovira i Virgili
67 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list