From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 38: Status of forum moderators in the Gentoo project
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:28:42
1 On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 23:55 +0200, Haas Wernfried wrote:
2 > > > There is no way to force it on them and firing them is not an option.
3 > > Why not?
4 > You're not serious, are you?
5 > These people have dedicated a lot of work to the forums and
6 > Gentoo. They are doing a great job. Why fire them?
7
8 You're asking for Gentoo to make you guys "official". There are certain
9 things that come with this, both good and bad. We can't go around
10 making special exceptions for everyone. It is just that simple.
11
12 > > > Personally, i'd like to see all of the existing moderators take the
13 > > > quiz, i assume it may be something like two thirds.
14 > > Then, in my opinion, I'd see 1/3 of the moderators getting the boot.
15 > You're still not serious, are you?
16
17 Yes, I am. That is why I said it.
18
19 > The purpose of this GLEP is to solve a problem that was introduced a
20 > while ago. Giving 1/3 of the mods the boot isn't exactly my definition
21 > of solving a problem. What if there is no outcome with this GLEP, will
22 > everybody get the boot who isn't a developer then?
23
24 If nothing happens with the GLEP, then nothing happens. Nobody goes
25 anywhere and nobody becomes an "official" member of the project.
26
27 > I think the current suggestion in the GLEP is the best we can
28 > achieve. Old moderators may take the quiz, new moderators must. Given
29 > enough time all old moderators may retire sooner or later and one day
30 > all active moderators will be official.
31
32 I just don't see it the same way as you. I agree with having all new
33 *global* moderators taking the quiz. However, I completely disagree
34 with you that we should have *some* global moderators that have become
35 official Gentoo representatives, while others have not. It simply
36 causes too much confusion and makes things a serious pain to manage.
37 Either the forums become a much more controlled (as in global mods have
38 to be staff) environment, or they stay the same. I just don't see how
39 any middle ground would be feasible without an enormous amount of
40 managerial overhead that seems like a complete waste of time to me.
43 Chris Gianelloni
45 Games - Developer
46 Gentoo Linux