From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: About gcc-4.6 unmasking
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 02:12:45
1 On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 20:37:39 -0500
2 Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > Ryan,
5 >
6 > I took a look at the problem cited in your bug report. I suggest
7 > compiling sys-boot/grub with CFLAGS="-O0 -ggdb3", attaching gdb to
8 > grub-install and then watching what happens in the debugger. If you
9 > compare runs with a GCC 4.5.3 built stage2 and a GCC 4.6.2 built
10 > stage2, you should be able to find the bug.
11
12 Sorry, the bug report is confusing. It's actually two bugs, the first being
13 a miscompiled stage2 causing an error when running grub-install and making
14 the system unbootable. I fixed that back in Sept. The second bug is a
15 continuous boot loop that only seems to manifest on certain machines or
16 configurations. This is the one I'm having trouble with. I should have
17 opened a new report for it, but at the time I thought it was due to fallout
18 from the first patch.
19
20 The biggest problem is that I can't reproduce it on either of my systems, so
21 I have no way of narrowing it down. FWIW, I did a comparison of /boot/grub/*
22 from a broken system and my own and they are byte-for-byte identical.
26 fonts, gcc-porting
27 toolchain, wxwidgets
28 @ gentoo.org