From: Peter Hyman <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ROX: maintainer-wanted and apps out of date
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:42:34
1 On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 20:27 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
2 > > Thank you for the opportunity. Apparently though, my submissions have
3 > > already been rejected Ciaran. It's important to realize that the
4 > > submissions were intended to AID the developers, not to necessarily be
5 > > PERFECT in every way.
6 >
7 > Of course they have been criticized by Ciaran. In case you didn't know,
8 > he does this for *every* maintainer-wanted ebuild. They are only
9 > rejected as long as they have problems. If you fix them, they will be
10 > accepted if some dev takes responsibility for them, or is recruited to
11 > maintain them. It's really that simple Sounds like a case where you
12 > can't stand to have anyone review your work.
13 >
14 > > I submitted the ebuilds in good faith in the hope they would help myself
15 > > and others get the portage tree wrt ROX up to date and correct
16 > > breakages. In that my "spacing" was not liked, or my "descriptions" were
17 > > too long is irrelevant.
18 >
19 > No, it isn't irrelevant. We strive to make the portage tree to be of
20 > high quality. Why settle for less?
21 >
22 > -Steve
23
24 Oh, flame on! When I submitted many of the ebuilds, I had no idea the
25 rox maintainers were AWOL. I just assumed that they would take heed of
26 the version bumps, small changes made to existing ebuilds, and update
27 portage. It was not my intent to replace the maintainers or to re-invent
28 their efforts. I thought that having a new up-to-date ebuild would save
29 time for the maintainers.
30
31 I did not know that there were none anymore. As I wrote privately to
32 Ciaran, if I WAS auditioning to become a dev, then sure, I need the
33 comments. However, I was using:
34 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ebuild-submit.xml as my guide -- the goal
35 being to alert the devs that new stuff was out and that certain
36 breakages needed fixing.
37
38 If the goal was to keep portage quality high, take heed of user comments
39 when it comes to updating packages. We all share that goal.
43 Peter
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list