From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo on Android stage3
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 00:35:35
1 On Saturday, October 29, 2016 4:42:21 PM EDT M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 >
3 > Completely out of my depth here, but can you cross-compile a
4
5 On Gentoo yes its called crossdev[1]. You can have a build system/toolchain
6 for any arch you need to make an entire system or binaries for and them over
7 to what ever device. Use a very powerful host system of a completely different
8 arch, like x86_64 to build armv7 and others.
9
10 I did this a while back to make tun/tap kernel drivers for an android system.
11 I also used it a very long time ago using docs in vapier's devspace[2] before
12 it was documented else where. That was when I got my first x86_64 system and
13 there were no 64bit pre-compiled kernels or livecds at the time. So I used a
14 i686 Gentoo system to make a x86_64 kernel.
15
16 The best part of that last story, I got kernel patches from SuperMicro because
17 x86_64 stuff was so new. The SuperMicro kernel patches were made against a
18 Gentoo kernel.
19
20 1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Cross_build_environment
21 2. http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/CROSS-COMPILE-HOWTO