From: Pallav Agarwal <pallavagarwal07@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for changes for the next EAPI version
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 07:38:13
1 For normal users we wouldn't. But currently, arch-testers need to make a
2 judgement call on what to test when a stable-req bug is filed. Tests run in
3 src_test are provided by upstream, and does not guarantee that a package
4 that has been merged will actually run on the system.
5 If the maintainer could add a couple small scripts to check basic
6 functionality
7 of the merged package, it would make testing for arch testers much easier
8 and reliable.
9 Let me give an example. Let's say
10 app-misc/screenfetch-2.7.7 is the current stable package for screenfetch in
11 the portage tree.
12 However, on running, it produces an error on the top, along with the proper
13 output.
14 If screenfetch-3.0.0 happens to fix that error, maintainer can add a simple
15 script
16
17 if [ "$(screenfetch 2>&1 1>/dev/null)" != "" ] then
18 eerror "Still producing error"
19 fi
20
21 To make sure the build is properly updating the screenfetch version, and
22 that
23 the bug has in fact been fixed. This is the only way I can see to reliabily
24 and automatically test packages that have been merged successfully.
25
27 Regards,
28 Pallav
29