From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2005.1 profile gives devfs as virtual
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:41:13
1 On Monday 05 September 2005 03:24, Mike Williams wrote:
2 > On Sunday 04 September 2005 15:11, Philip Webb wrote:
3 > > Having gone over to Udev, I went to unmerge Devfs & got a big red
4 > > warning. It appears that the 2005.1 profile gives Devfs as a virtual:
5 > > is this an oversight or is there a reason behind it ?
6 > > I would have assumed that Udev would now be the required device
7 > > manager.
8 >
9 > You installed using an earlier profile, obviously, when devfs was the
10 > default for virtual/dev-manager (otherwise you wouldn't have it
11 > installed). Because the profile depends on a virtual any attempt to
12 > remove a package providing that virtual will throw up the warning.
13 > Exactly the same symptom you're seeing with editors on -user.
14
15 Yeah, you're right. virtual/editor is a terrible case. :/
16
17 Okay, it's possible that unmerging slotted packages of the one key may break
18 your system. How's about not warning if there's more than one installed
19 cat/pkg (rather than cat/pkg-ver) satisfying the profile atom that is being
20 triggered?
23 Jason Stubbs