From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 17:32:09
1 On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:07:03 +0000
2 Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > The notable difference is:
5 > /usr/sbin/foo is not executed automaticly while emerge.
6
7 You lack imagination: the bash scripts used by emerge are just
8 as easy to corrupt using a src_install only ebuild.
9
10 > On the other hand i try discuss on g-hardened how to detect malicious
11 > code.
12
13 Cryptographic signature as suggested by avenj would be a much more
14 realistic approach here. Since I do my phd in the security-oriented
15 program analysis domain, it breaks my heart to say that, but it's a
16 fact.
17
18 > > What is done in pkg_postinst is supposed to be good on every system.
19 > For sure, Windows is supposed to be good on every system too.
20 > However its deficencies make it from time to time a threat for the
21 > internet: code red, nimda to name just 2 of them.
22
23 I said "good", not "enough". I don't believe that src_postinst commands
24 will make your server super secure, but only that they do things that
25 are usefull and as safe as other parts of the ebuilds.
26
27 > I see the potential for gentoo to join windows on its way to bring the
28 > internet down.
29
30 I withdraw what I've said, you do have imagination. :)
31 That would be a nice success story though.
34 TGL.
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list