From: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
To: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 17:50:12
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 17:39, Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
2 > On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:07:03 +0000
3 >
4 > Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
5 > > The notable difference is:
6 > > /usr/sbin/foo is not executed automaticly while emerge.
7 >
8 > You lack imagination: the bash scripts used by emerge are just
9 > as easy to corrupt using a src_install only ebuild.
10
11 So this clearly is a bug that must be fixed.
12
13 > > On the other hand i try discuss on g-hardened how to detect malicious
14 > > code.
15 >
16 > Cryptographic signature as suggested by avenj would be a much more
17 > realistic approach here. Since I do my phd in the security-oriented
18 > program analysis domain, it breaks my heart to say that, but it's a
19 > fact.
20
21 but even cryptographic signatures got compromised (by faulty algorithms, users
22 handling the keys unappropriate, ..., and even gentoo-core [supposed to
23 handle the keys] is made out of humans and humans do make mistakes) So
24 cryptographics signatures alone are not the holy grail as isnt
25 security-oriented program analysis. But each one of them raises the bar a
26 little bit, and both of them a little bit more :)
27
28 So does fixing the security holes in portage. We have identified 2 big ones so
29 far:
30 1. functions like pkg_postinst
31 2. easy to compromise bash scripts
32 and another one is already well known:
33 3. the centralized portage tree
34
35 That leads me to the conclusions:
36 portage is unsecure by design
37
38 Please (the one responsible for it) clearify the statement:
39 "Thanks to a technology called Portage, Gentoo Linux can become an ideal
40 secure server" in http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml
41
42 I have to remove gentoo from my servers a little bit faster it seems...
43
44 Jan
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list